Buttermilk Cinnamon Swirl Loaf Cake

Since I have half box of buttermilk left after making the previous banana cake, I have been searching out recipes that I can use up my buttermilk.. and oh no! The expiry day is today!! I was planning to make buttermilk pancake for breakfast, but I don't bother to make such a "complicated" breakfast.  Plus, I prefer to eat my Quaker Corn Barn cereals, which I am addicted to, really addicting to a point that I can eat it everyday every meal. Meanwhile, there's another bake sale for World Vision the day after. Perfect! I can bake something with the buttermilk. This will be my last bake sale ever in my college life. I think I am gonna miss it :P

I have combined two recipes, since I want the swirl in buttermilk cake, but I also want some cinnamon streusels on the top. Cinnamon Lovers Attention!! You gonna love this!


Recipes adopted from Here (Yield: one loaf) 

Cinnamon Streusel Toppings (Should be more than enough)
2/3 cups               White sugar
pinch of salt
3/4 cups               All-Purpose Flour
1/2 tbsp                ground cinnamon
4 tbsp                   butter, melted

Cinnamon Streusel Swirl 
1/2 cup                  All purpose flour
1/3 cup                  Firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 tsp                   Ground Cinnamon
4 tbsp                    Unsalted butter, melted
Pinch of salt

Buttermilk Pound Cake
2 cups (242g)            All purpose flour
1/2 cup (57g)            Cake flour
1 tsp                          Baking powder
1/4tsp                        Baking soda
1/4 tsp                       Salt
1cup (227g)              Unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups                 Castor sugar
3 large                       Eggs
1cup (240ml)            Buttermilk

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 325F. Line the loaf pan with baking paper.

2. In a small bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients of the Cinnamon swirl. Add the melted butter and stir until blended and crumbly. (Add more butter if needed) Do the same for the cinnamon toppings mixture in a separate bowl. 

3. Sift together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and into a medium bowl. Whisk to combine and set aside.

4. Cream butter for 2 mins at medium speed in a mixer until very creamy. Gradually add in the sugar and continue beating at medium high speed until pale and light. (4mins)

5. At medium speed, add in eggs one at a time and mix to incorporate eggs well.

6. Add in the flour in 3 portions, alternating it with milk. Mix until just combined.

7. Scrape half of the batter into the prepared pan and smooth it into an even layer. Pour the cinnamon swirl mixture evenly over the batter. Scrape the remaining cake batter on top and smooth it into an even layer. Insert a knife to the batter and swirl gently. Sprinkle the cinnamon streusels toppings on top of the batter.

8. Bake the cake for 60 to 70 mins, until the cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.



1 comments: